The historic buildings of the Stara Rzeznia complex will be included in the architectural and conservation research program (PBKiA). The facilities will be carefully examined in preparation for the commencement of the development by Vastint Poland. The works will be carried out in consultation with and under the supervision of the Municipal Conservator of Monuments.
The aim of PBKiA is to examine, in terms of construction and conservation, the historic buildings erected in the years 1897-1900 at the request of the Poznań City Council and pursuant to the design of Felix Moritz, the then municipal construction inspector. The outcome of the research will determine the course of renovation works on buildings of historical value in the area of Stara Rzeznia. Vastint Poland’s intention is to recreate their original appearance as faithfully as possible from the period when the municipal slaughterhouse began operation.
The coordinator of the program is Jerzy Borwinski, the outstanding Poznan conservator of monuments, who was previously involved in the renovation of structures such as Okraglak in Poznan, a tenement house at Kopernika Street, a villa in Stary Browar, and the Castle in Kornik. He is also the co-author of the “Atlas of Poznan Architecture.”
Jerzy Borwinski says: “The buildings belonging to the Stara Rzeznia complex were erected in the industrial neo-Gothic style. Each of the buildings had its own separate function which influenced the architecture of the building and the appearance of its interiors. The common element for all the buildings is the facade made of yellow clinker bricks, accentuated with red brick sills and cornices. After an initial inspection of several historical buildings in Stara Rzeznia, we can hypothesize that originally the roofs were covered with deep green and graphite glazed tiles. Unfortunately, most of the buildings are not in the best condition. After examining the various elements of the façade, roofing and basements, it will be possible to draw conclusions about the required conservation measures.”
As part of the macroscopic research, the research group will conduct a series of on-site inspections of Stara Rzeznia to check the type, arrangement, and general condition of individual structural elements. Due to the lack of archival documentation of the historical buildings, it will also be necessary to make open-pit excavations of building elements in order to confirm the construction solutions used. During the works, walls, roofs, ceilings, basements, and numerous decorative elements of all the to-be-preserved buildings will be examined.
Rafał Przybył, Project Manager at Vastint, explains: “The implementation of the program started in September and will last until the end of October. During this time, scaffolding will appear on the construction site, from which the conservation team will conduct research. We want to understand well the challenges that we may face when renovating the old buildings in order to restore these stylish buildings to their former glory in the next stages of the investment.
The program of conservation and architectural research has been presented to the Municipal Conservator of Monuments and, after approval, will be implemented under its supervision.
Joanna Bielawska-Pałczyńska, Municipal Conservator of Monuments declares: “We want to restore the original appearance of the historical buildings. Vastint Poland understands the need to preserve the original character of these post-industrial buildings, which constitute an important part of Poznan’s architectural heritage.”
According to the concept, the area of Stara Rzeznia — approximately 5.5 hectares — will be transformed into a coherent urban and architecturally interesting part of the city center. The realization involves the renovation of the buildings of the former meat factories under conservation protection and, to a large extent, their adaptation for service and catering functions, including theatre, restaurants, and a market hall, as well as the construction of new residential, office, and service facilities. The building area of the complex is anticipated to be approximately 70,000 m2. The urban concept was prepared by Przemysław Borkowicz in cooperation with Poznan’s young architecture firms JEJU and UGO, while the execution of the architectural design was entrusted to architects from JSK.